I have quite a vast collection of DVDs, but I have to admit, I like the ones with a happy ending the most. I am American, after all. I just can’t stomach anything that doesn’t work out juuust right in the end.
And when I say “happy ending,” I mean the lighthearted romantic comedy kind. Not, my most hated genre of movies, the ones I like I to call “heart-warming” movies.
These “heart-warming” movies are very different from romantic comedies. They often involve animals, or sweeping historical romances, or perhaps some sort of wrenching relationship saga. Things like Seabiscuit, Cinderella Man, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, The Straight Story, etc.
No thank you. They just irritate me to no end.
Basically my criteria for a good movie are:
- sweet special effects with a futuristic story (a la The Matrix or X-men)
- hijinks and antics – especially when physical comedy is involved, or a naked Will Farrell (such as Wedding Crashers or Old School)
- some sort of high school dramatics (something along the lines of Mean Girls or Bring It On)
- real-world political thrillers (like Blood Diamond or The Constant Gardener)
- Indiana Jones-style adventures (I’m thinking Tomb Raider or Sahara)
What kind of movies do you like?